Chana masala pizza is a fusion recipe in which the Italian pizza recipe is spiced up with some indian chana masala.
Chana masala is an Indian dish where chickpeas and vegetables are cooked in a spicy sauce.
I had some chana masala ready but I did not have enough time to make a pizza crust from scratch so I decided to use refrigerated pizza dough, which was already in my fridge.
But if you would like to make a pizza dough at home, you can find the recipe here.
- For Chana masala:
- 1 cup Chickpeas, soaked overnight and cooked
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger and garlic
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoon chaat masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon oil
- ½ cup sliced onions
- ¼ cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced (optional)
- 1 ready pizza crust
- Alfredo sauce as per your liking
- 1 cup freshly shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan and add onions ginger and garlic. Saute till onions are cooked well.
- Add tomato paste, chaat masala, salt and chili powder and saute for 5 mins
- Add the cooked chickpeas and saute till well cooked, stirring often.
- Check seasonings and adjust if needed.
- Let simmer for 5-10 mins.
- Bake the pizza crust according to the instructions.
- Cooking veggies
- Heat oil in a pan and cook all the veggies till half done.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Grease the baking/pizza pan and roll out the pizza dough in a 12 inch circle and sprinkle some carom seeds.
- Poke with a fork and bake for 12 mins.
- Remove from oven and spread the alfredo sauce then some cheese then vegetables and then again the cheese.
- Bake till the cheese becomes slightly brown.
- Remove from oven and top with chana masala, some dried parsley flakes, chaat masala, red chili flakes and serve hot.
I do occasionally make pizza from scratch when I have enough time to prep everything. But when you don’t have time or are too tired for making the pizza crust from scratch, then I think getting a ready made pizza dough is a good idea.